Friday, May 23, 2008

Hamilton Khaki Aviation Chrono Automatic

Today I'm wearing my Hamilton Khaki Aviation Chrono Automatic. I think this might be my favorite Hamilton so far. It's big (44mm with a 22mm wide strap) but certainly not the biggest watch on the market nor even in my collection. It has a heft to it that just feels right. I think the only thing that might make it better is the factory stainless steel bracelet but I really love the leather strap, so maybe it wouldn't. One complaint was the watch didn't come with a deployant (and Hamilton deployants, bracelets and straps are notoriously hard to buy on their own) so I used the deployant that came with my Field Chrono since I usually wear that on an aftermarket strap. I have no idea why some models come with deployants and others don't, it certainly doesn't seem to go by price, series nor anything else I can think of. On to the dial, which I think is one of my very best looking dials. The sunburst-patterned silver dial with dark grey subdials and printing has just the right amount of extra details, pips, circles, etc. and the delicate but legible hands reach perfectly out to the minute and tachymeter tracks. The unique symmetrical subdial arrangement is a function of the movement, a Valjoux 7753, which isn't as common as the Valjoux 7750 (which is found in my Field Chrono and dozens of other models.) It's a great watch and has excellent timekeeping, classic good looks, great size and I really love wearing it. I don't think I could ask for anything else.












No comments: